Please support the practice by having your vaccination with us
Patient Leaflet - who should have it and why.pdf
Current Stock Status (6th October):
65 years + : In stock and more due on the 29th October and 12th November.
Under 65 yrs but at risk: In stock
Children: In stock
*Please note due to the popularity of pre-booked appointments and the Saturday clinics we are cancelling the "walk in" option for flu vaccinations*. Our apologies for this change.
Flu vaccination provides the best protection against an unpredictable virus which infects many people and can cause serious illness and death each year.
The vaccination is free and recommended yearly for those most at risk from flu. You are eligible for the flu vaccine if you:
- are 65 years or over (or will be by the 31st March 2019)
- are currently pregnant (any stage)
- have a long term health condition e.g. diabetes, heart disease, asthma (that requires continuous or repeated use of inhaled or systemic steroids or with previous exacerbations requiring hospital admission), COPD, immunosuppressed, if you have chronic liver or kidney disease, if you have a problem with your spleen, or if you have a BMI of 40 or over.
- care for someone else
- a child (please see below)
Due to a change in advice from the Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation (JCVI) regarding the type of flu injection those aged 65 years + should receive there is only one manufacturer this year and therefore NHS England (NHSE) have imposed delivery quotas so that all surgeries/pharmacies nationwide will receive 40% of their order in September (for us this is the 14th), 20% in October (for us this is the 12th ) and 40% in November (for us this is the 2nd ).
For those under 65 years but at risk our vaccine is delivered in the week ending 5th October. Therefore we have changing our service offering to you this year:
If you are 65 years+ you can attend our Saturday clinic on the 15th September 2018 at Brookfields Health Centre on Seymour Street.
If you are in an at risk group the Saturday clinic will be on the 6th October 2018 at Cherry Hinton Medical Centre on Fishers Lane
There is plenty of parking at each site.
We are keen you attend the drop in Saturday sessions; however if this is not convenient you can make an appointment with a member of the nursing team at either site at any time. You may have a short wait. If none of these are convenient you can have your vaccination at a local Pharmacy.
Children of certain age groups and/or those at risk are also eligible to receive a flu vaccination:
We would invite the parents/guardians of children to make appointments for their flu vaccinations in usual practice nurse clinics. Please do not attend the Saturday or drop-in service with children.
Protecting Children from flu Leaflet
- Children under 2 years if at risk only
- Children aged 2-3 years (born between 1st September 2014 and 31st August 2016)
- Children who were 3 years on 31st August 2018, but have since turned 4 are still eligible to be vaccinated
- Children aged 4-9 years will be vaccinated by the School programme
- Children aged 10 years but less than 18 years old if at risk only
Please note most children will be given the Nasal spray vaccination unless there is a clinical reason why this can not be given.